Sunday, August 9, 2009

Thing #22 Ning

I had no idea what a ning was before this activity! Now I would describe it as a kind of Facebook for people with the same passion, whether profession or hobby or an off-the-wall interest. I think you have to be into social networking more than I am to really use it. I looked at the Texas School Librarian ning, and read some of the discussions, one of which was comparing it to the TLC listserv. The general consensus was that it was smaller and more personal, which made it easier to feel comfortable posting and commenting. However, there was one comment (from a respected source, in my book--Carol Simpson) on that particular discussion that pretty much sums up the way I feel: you have to be realistic and face the fact that you only have a certain amount of time to devote to reading, commenting, blogging, etc. and that it's best to choose only those items that do you the most good, and leave the rest behind. Probably, nings will be something I won't choose to devote much time to.

No comments:

Post a Comment