Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Thing #16 Wiki, wiki

The best thing about wikis is the name--I just love saying "Wiki"--

I'm actually a little familiar with wikis, or at least I thought I was. I went to a workshop a couple of years ago and immediately set up wikis for my Middle School reading clubs. I also set up a wiki for the teacher's reading club during the summer, but they didn't take to it at all. My most successful wikis have been the ones the Senior English teacher and I set up for her independent novel study groups. The students responded well to her questions and prompts, but we also wanted to see discussion among themselves. Does anyone have any ideas how to encourage more discussion to happen?

Also, the wikis I'm familiar with are all about discussion. I liked the ones I saw that were lists--like the community wiki at Ann Arbor. That seems like something I could use in the library and that students and teachers would respond to.

No comments:

Post a Comment