Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thing #18 Google Docs

I've just spent a frustrating hour looking back over Google Docs. A month ago I discovered this, I think while exploring Google for Thing #7, and started a document for a parent read-aloud program that we do at our school. Actually, it was a questionaire to be sent out at the end, helping us evaluate the program. The document doesn't look anything like what I'm remembering--now it's in spreadsheet form--and I can't find the original template at all. It seems like there were only a few templates at that time, and now there are hundreds, many not especially helpful. I think that's the downside of allowing the public to post their product--sometimes you get something really good, but mostly the shared goods aee of dubious value. Oh well, the occasional gem makes it all worthwhile, I suppose. (And I did see a couple of gems, to be honest.)

I haven't looked at Open Office--don't want to download it to my husband's laptop--but will when I'm on a different computer. The obvious benefit to these two programs is that you're able to access them on any computer. No more having to wait and work on something when you get to school, and no more saving to your flashdrive. The downside is having to wade through a bunch of templates that you won't ever use to find something that you can. Microsoft Word seems much easier to use, but I can remember when it seemed difficult...

No comments:

Post a Comment